Thankyou so much for that info

LK liked
ReplyQuote
pink alpaca
(@pink-alpaca)
Registered
May 2, 2019 11:25 am  

Great advice and link.

I had a prolapse last week (end April 2019) went to change the bag one morning and there was this large long stoma protrusion - scary. I had my ileostomy in February 2019. Rang my stoma nurse who advised me that this often happens.  I thought they only occurred if you lifted something too heavy or stretched too much.  According to stoma nurse they can happen for no reason at all, I guess the stomach wall, in my case, is just weak, as I have only recently started the 4 core exercises. She advised lying down, which worked and a very cold compress.  Fortunately the next day it was back to normal, having seen the stoma nurse she has made an appointment for me to be fitted with a belt and I have purchased on prescription some women's support pants and vest from Vanilla Blush UK. 

Have to admit it was very scary and difficult to deal with at home,  I feel I need to get out and do more walking - easier said than done.  I live in rural Northamptonshire, 1 mile from the nearest village, no footpath, walking on the road is lethal no-one obeys the speed limit, let alone thinking about walkers, runners, etc.  Due to chemotherapy treatment, I can't concentrate enough to drive at the moment, so for me, it's a walk in the field unless it's too muddy - the risk of falling over - am I a baby or what!!

Just wondering what other rural ostomates might suggest?  I feel I need to increase my walking, but am limited to the field during the week, seem to have become a weekend garden centre junkie when I go out with my husband - you can walk outside look at all the plants and then when you feel tried sit and have a cup of tea. Anyone else has that feeling?

Caroline

C S Kisby

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
May 2, 2019 11:33 am  

TAKE IT EASY !! That must have been scary-- I learned something from you just now-- Thanks--  

IF this happens to me , I will take your advise !!!!! You have been through so much lately-- PLEASE rest more.. Don't want this to happen to u again for sure ! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 2, 2019 11:44 am  

Hi Caroline, The prolase would certainly be an unnerving experience, and remaining calm like you did keeps the situation under control. On the walking front is there any National Trust Property’s nearby. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
May 2, 2019 11:58 am  

Dona, guid us / me through your experance-- this blog does mention this surgery and I find myself wanting more information from people as you that went through this-- just in case I/we have to enter this surgery-- Experance from others is so helpful!

Sending you the best------You will be back on your feet soon and traveling again ( How I envey you and your travels) You r a positive ostomate of success for the new-b's..  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 3, 2019 6:16 pm  

HI Caroline...you are doing so much better then you may think you are. I remember being so desperate to get out of the house after surgery. Being freezing outside, I could not tolerate the cold. So , we had one long hallway in our house and I walked that on  a regular basis several times a day. I even fooled the dogs into thinking we were actually going for a walk by leashing them up and taking them along. Because we live on a crazy road with a culasac, drivers speed by just to get the end of the street. To be safe, I walked around the outside of the house on the grass, just to get more fresh air and exercise. Walking is one of the best things you can do for your recovery and there is nothing wrong with stopping to rest. You also get a slightly different view around every corner of the house. Take a pair of clippers with you and trim some bushes or tall plants on your way. Your hubby can pick up the pieces until you are comfy bending. Have fun with it. You are doing great!

Linda

ReplyQuote
pink alpaca
(@pink-alpaca)
Registered
May 4, 2019 10:57 am  

Hi Marcie,

Pleased I was able to pass on something useful.  I am resting more this week, had a scary second chemo treatment on Wednesday, my husband came to collect me and I was about to get my things together, when I noticed I was finding it hard to speak, the next thing I knew I had slurred speech, couldn't breathe very easily and had double vision.  My temperature had skyrocketed and my stoma leaked!!! I can laugh about it now, cried lots when I got home, which was 6pm, my appointment was 9.30am! The nurses and doctor were excellent and I'm so pleased it happened at the day clinic and not at home. Needless to say, I am resting more this week, it really took it out of me. Stoma is behaving so all is well and I'm laughing again. :)

Caroline

C S Kisby

LK liked
ReplyQuote
pink alpaca
(@pink-alpaca)
Registered
May 4, 2019 10:59 am  

Linda what a good idea.  It's too cold at the moment to go out rain, wind, I like the sound of a bit of gardening and someone clearing up after me.

C.

C S Kisby

LK liked
ReplyQuote
pink alpaca
(@pink-alpaca)
Registered
May 4, 2019 11:05 am  

Yes there we do have some, the weather needs to improve here to cold - wind and rain, but once it warms up a bit and I can get someone to drive me, it would make a good afternoon out.

Thanks C.

C S Kisby

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
May 4, 2019 1:01 pm  

Pink-- so sorry u went through what u did at the clinic -  Glad your doing fine now-- that chemo can be hard on people.  I am sure they will regester this in the near future so you don't have to experance this again..  

Keep up the good work--you have a lot on your plate right now.. Glad your resting. Have a nice cup of tea and watch soring come into your life.. Best, M.

ReplyQuote
IleosTony
(@ileostony)
Registered
May 4, 2019 8:10 pm  

Hi Caroline,

A treadmill might help with all the safety and terrain concerns. It could get a little boring, but there's always music or an audio book or a video on a tablet to compensate for the lack of changing scenery.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 4, 2019 11:35 pm  

Maybe till the whether is more acceptable in your neck of the woods, consider borrowing a stationary bicycle or renting one from a gym, have them deliver and set up? You would be surprised how many people with good intentions have one collecting dust somewhere.  Try contacting you local health unit to see what they have for contacts too. Good for you for moving forward. Baby steps are great steps.  Make sure you check with your doctor first before starting any kind of exercise like this. Walking is one thing...better safe then sorry. 

Linda

IleosTony liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 5, 2019 12:19 pm  

Hi Caroline,

I also got good use from a treadmill when I was too ill to get out of the house and walk. If you get one that in non-electric ( called a manual treadmill) and has an adjustable incline, you can get plenty of exercise . They have bars in front  to hang on to and they just go as fast as you want. You walk fast, the treadmill goes faster.  You stop, it stops. So no worries about the speed of it if you are feeling shaky or unwell. And, you may well be able to rent or borrow one. They also cost a lot less than the electric powered ones and take up less space. 

Keep moving though, any way you can. Its essential to your recovery.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
pink alpaca
(@pink-alpaca)
Registered
May 11, 2019 11:16 am  

Hi Dona

Great idea,  I didn't know there were any manual ones,  I shall putting Google to use later to find out more.

C

C S Kisby

LK liked
ReplyQuote
pink alpaca
(@pink-alpaca)
Registered
May 11, 2019 11:19 am  

LK

Excellent idea and something I had never thought about.  I'll check first that cycling is ok and then see what's out there.

C

C S Kisby

LK liked
ReplyQuote
pink alpaca
(@pink-alpaca)
Registered
May 11, 2019 11:22 am  

Hi Tony

You and Dona must be on the same wavelength,  I had never considered a treadmill, it could prove to be really useful.

Thanks

C

C S Kisby

LK liked
ReplyQuote
IleosTony
(@ileostony)
Registered
May 11, 2019 11:27 am  
Posted by: pink alpaca

Hi Tony

You and Dona must be on the same wavelength,  I had never considered a treadmill, it could prove to be really useful.

Thanks

C

Great minds!

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
May 11, 2019 7:06 pm  

I used a cycle peddle-- stayed in one place--I was able to sit and go at my own speed. As I was so weak--at first.. now ?  weak again-- going back to that.. sit is peddle. rest, and attend to my body talking to me.  Standing was to much for me then and now.  But I will be back! 

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
May 12, 2019 1:07 pm  

Hi Caroline,

Yes, prolapse is a frightening sight, and so far in the past 2 plus years, I have had it happen twice, and I had twice the surgery to fix it. The surgery is a breeze, not painful at all, and no stay in hospital, 4 hours from start to going home. Lifting heavy items will do it, I got a note from Doctor for work which says I am not allowed to lift any more then 20 LB - for life. When it does happen, just lay down, the Stoma will crawl back real fast, when you get up, roll off the bed, so it doesn't come right back out. If (hoping not) it does happen again, take a picture of it (out of pouch) and show it to you Doctor, he may decide to fix it with surgery.

You can if you are brave enough push it back gently, use a gauze putting it on the opening of the Stoma, and push straight down (GENTLY), it will not byte, nor give you any trouble, but this takes a bit of time to go down all the way.

Wish you all the best.

Dan

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 13, 2019 11:18 am  
Posted by: danbh

I have had it happen twice, and I had twice the surgery to fix it.\

Dan, what promoted the surgeries? Was the prolapse not going back in on its own?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Please Login or Register